Although there certainly have been snowier starts to Bretton Woods winters, a fun vacation week is still in store for those of us lucky enough to spend it in the White Mountains. Bretton Woods is boasting the most open terrain in New Hampshire and I’m betting the Number One Groomers in the East will be out there ensuring perfect corduroy for everyone.
If you’re lucky enough to ski or ride on Christmas day, you’ll find the gift of $30 lift tickets at the ticket windows, and the lifts will be turning 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., giving you plenty of time to enjoy morning traditions before getting out for a leisurely first tracks.
In addition to hitting the slopes, here are some other great resort activities to enjoy this week:
- Indoor Climbing Wall and Bouldering Cave - A year-round indoor climbing experience located on the lofty Slopeside level of the Bretton Woods Base Lodge. With routes up to 30 feet for beginners to experts, staff will ensure everyone in the family has a fun afternoon – rain, shine or snow. Also explore the 300 square-foot Bouldering Cave for more fun closer to the ground.
- Bretton Woods Canopy Tour - I can personally attest that the Canopy Tour is not to be missed when you are at Bretton Woods, no matter what time of year. Descending over 1,000 feet of elevation, the tour takes nature lovers and thrill-seekers across a series of nine treetop zip lines, and is one of the longest zip line canopy tours in New England. Suspension bridges and hiking trails connect the highflying zip lines. Reservations required.
- Dog Sledding (currently operating with wheeled carts) - Take in the spectacular winter scenery as you glide behind a powerful team of sled dogs. Experience nature as explorers have for hundreds of years. Reservations required.
- Elf Tuck-In and Tea with Mrs. Claus - For a holiday treat for the kids, you can schedule a special bedtime story and treat with one of Santa’s own with the Elf Tuck-In. Or for an afternoon with the lady who’s really in charge, Tea with Mrs. Claus is sure to delight as it fills their tummies.
- Kids Apres Ski Parties (and ones for the adults too) are scheduled throughout the week. This free party for the kids takes place upstairs in the top level of the base lodge and will include live entertainment, games, activities, and refreshments for kids. Parents are welcome to leave their kids at this supervised program and enjoy entertainment at the Slopeside Lounge.